Architects don’t often get to design a new building for their alma mater. Yet Thomas Phifer, based in New York City, showed it’s possible to go home again—with success. He created an airy 55,000-square-foot addition for the architecture school at Clemson University, in South Carolina, where he got his B.A. in architecture in 1975, and his M.Arch. in 1977. The rural university, founded in 1889 near the Blue Ridge Mountains, is composed of an architectural polyglot of buildings, highlighted by its original Italian Renaissance Revival brick structures. Phifer’s evanescent glass-and-steel pavilion definitely introduces a lighter approach.