Dresden is a place of ghosts and unease, the site of the most controversial and devastating series of Allied bombing raids of World War II. But today, the city is also a symbol of rebirth and reconciliation, epitomized by the painstaking reconstruction of its historic center—most notably the famous Baroque-style Lutheran church, Frauenkirche, (1726–43), designed with a virtuoso stone dome by George Bähr. A jagged heap of rubble during the Communist East German regime, the church was finally restored at a cost of $240 million in 2005, fifteen years after Germany’s reunification. The city remains a supremely charged territory. And it is here that Daniel Libeskind has just expanded what had been a local East German museum into the largest museum in Germany, with 215,085 square feet of space. It is also now the official central museum of the German Armed Forces.