Now On Demand
Credits: 1 AIA LU/HSW; 1 AIBD P-CE; 0.1 IACET CEU
May qualify for learning hours through most Canadian architectural associations
Since early 2020, it seems as if the world has changed drastically. The COVID-19 pandemic has certainly changed how we work, play, and live. Design professionals have experienced this shift profoundly. When designing interior spaces, design professionals must consider aesthetics, cost, and energy efficiency, but also how their choices impact the health and well-being of occupants. While this has been the case for some time, the COVID-19 pandemic has underscored the importance of designing healthy spaces.
This course will begin with a discussion of Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) and the elements which together can help support the health and well-being of building occupants. Next, the course will explore how interior finish choices can positively impact indoor air quality. Included will be a discussion of what products certifications the specifier should seek when selecting products with health and well-being in mind. The course will then touch on the importance of daylighting and acoustic control in maintaining a healthy interior. Finally, this course will review how interior finish choices can work together to create healthy, sustainable and beautiful spaces. Case studies will be used to illustrate successful designs.
Diana Hart is the manager of business development and architectural development for Rockfon in North America. She brings over 25 years of experience in acoustical ceilings and is passionate about the impact ceilings can have in education, healthcare and office spaces. She is a strong advocate for occupant well-being, from good acoustics that can dramatically improve healing, productivity and learning, to using safe products with no chemicals and fire safety. Diana travels across the country meeting with architects, designers, facilities and end users discussing the benefits of Rockfon and stone wool ceilings.
- Describe the key elements of Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) that support occupant health and well-being.
- Describe how materials choices and moisture and ventilation control can be used to ensure good indoor air quality.
- Enumerate product certifications to look for when selecting healthy interior finishes.
- Explain how acoustics and daylighting impact health and well-being.
- Describe features that can contribute to the design of healthy, warm, and inviting spaces that contributes to overall health and well-being.