Architectural Record Announces Winners of First Annual Women in Architecture Awards
2014’s five winners include:
• Design Leader, honoring an architect with significant built work and influence: Merrill Elam of Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects, Atlanta, GA
• New Generation Leader, honoring an architect who is rising in the profession: Jeanne Gang of Studio Gang, Chicago, IL
• Innovator, honoring an architect who has made a mark in innovative design, materials or building type: Sheila Kennedy of Kennedy & Violich Architecture, Boston, MA
• Activist, honoring an architect who has used her skills to design for social change, effect the public realm or perform pro bono work: Erinn McGurn of SCALEAfrica, New York, NY
• Educator, honoring a professional who has helped the advancement of women: Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, former dean of the University of Miami’s School of Architecture, Miami, FL
Winners were selected by an independent panel of judges including Blair Kamin, the architecture critic of the Chicago Tribune; Rosalie Genevro, the executive director of The Architectural League of New York; Sarah Williams Goldhagen, the architecture critic of The New Republic; Jill Lerner, a principal at Kohn Pedersen Fox; Mary McLeod, a professor at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation; and Mark Regulinski, a managing director at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Sponsors of the 2014 Women in Architecture Awards include Presenting Partner Autodesk, and Supporting Sponsors Bespoke and reThink Wood.