A Gentle Facelift for Philip Johnson's Four Seasons Restaurant
Architects & Firms
New York City’s legendary Four Seasons restaurant, now celebrating its 50th anniversary, has embarked on the restoration of its famed Philip Johnson-designed interior in the Seagram Building, completed in 1958.
Phyllis Lambert, the architect and patron who convinced her father, Samuel Bronfman, owner of the Seagram Company, to choose Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Johnson as the architects of his new headquarters building on Park Avenue, guided the selection of Belmont Freeman, FAIA, as the new architect for the restoration of this culinary outpost. Lambert, whose family still retains majority ownership of the restaurant, along with minority stakeholders and restaurateurs Julian Niccolini and Alex von Bidder, felt Freeman would be sympathetic to refurbishing the Four Season’s interiors, which received New York City landmark status in 1989: Freeman’s New York-based office is particularly known for its crafted restorations and modernist renovations of campus structures, retail facilities, and residences.