Two refined modernist additions, one clad with glass on the southwest corner and the other screened on the northeast, contrast with this weathered 19th century farmhouse located on the edge of a hill with spectacular views. The two square steel pavilions (a total of 550 square feet) form one wing of the house, with a renovated kitchen (250 square feet) in between. The new living room is expansive while the screen porch is intimate.
The new living room’s structure incorporates doors and operable windows into the minimal steel frame, eliminating the need for a sub-frame for the glass. The lighting – a combination of Halogen recessed fixtures and LED step lights – was developed to establish a strong visual after dark. Architectural lighting highlights key surfaces of the structure, the landscape, and the owner’s art collection.
Charles Brickbauer Architect
1006 Morton Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Completion Date: 2010
Construction Cost: withheld
Photography: © Maxwell Mackenzie 2011
Steel Doors and windows: