Now On Demand
Credits: 1 AIA LU; 0.1 IACET CEU
May qualify for learning hours through most Canadian architectural associations.
This webinar is part of the Wood Structures Academy.
This webinar will explore innovative uses of wood in building design, focusing on mass timber and cross-laminated timber (CLT), and profile two unique projects that embody the aesthetic, environmental, and structural strengths of wood as a building material.
Joseph Mayo, AIA, LEED AP, an architect at Mahlum, winner of a 2016 AIA Associates Award, and renowned author of Solid Wood: Case Studies in Mass Timber Architecture, Technology and Design, will provide an overview of the wood renaissance in the industry and the overall benefits of using wood in the construction of modern building projects.
Brian Court, AIA, partner at Miller Hull, will present on the Bullitt Center, a prototype high-performance urban office building located in Seattle, dubbed the "greenest commercial building in the world."
Tom Chung, AIA LEED AP BD+C, principal at Leers Weinzapfel Associates (LWA), will present on the highly touted UMass Design Building, with a basic focus on where and how mass timber and CLT fit into the design process.
The presentations will be followed by a moderated discussion focused on how ambitious projects using wood construction address several key issues, including:
- Cost: What tradeoffs, if any, are required achieve design excellence using wood? In the featured projects, did using wood add costs that needed to be recouped in other areas of the project, or did it actually reduce overall costs?
- Regulatory barriers: Were there any regulatory or other legal barriers that the project needed to overcome? If so, what strategies did the design team use to overcome them?
- Drivers: Did the owner request a wood building, or did you, as the architects, propose it? If the latter, what led you to suggest a wood design?
- Design constraints and opportunities
Learning Objectives - After viewing this webinar, you should be able to:
- Define the aesthetic, environmental, and structural strengths of wood as a building material.
- Describe innovative uses in wood building design strategies employed in two high-profile projects.
- Discuss the benefits of mass timber and CLT in the construction of modern building projects.
- Explain the basic focus of the overall design and construction process behind the highlighted projects.