Constructed in 1890, this National Historic Landmark still embodies technological advancements in structure and materials. The site is comprised of two office towers joined by a five-story retail concourse enclosed by an iron and glass skylight. Interior storefronts are detailed with tiers of bronze and upper office galleries are enhanced by intricate railings.
Restored decorative iron columns capped by griffins support trusses and give shape to the new insulated skylight, emulating the multipane style of the former glass roof. Complete replacement of the existing mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and fire suppression systems was necessary.
The 293-room hotel features "1890," a $2 million, 10,000-square-foot restaurant and lounge on the second floor and 48,000 square feet of retail space. The project received a National Preservation Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation