Patty Gay / Photo courtesy Patty Gay
Lombard Plantation / Courtesy boxchain
Steamboat House / Courtesy jennconspiracy
Bell School and Church / Courtesy NewOrleansLady
Patty Gay has been director of the Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans since 1980, and was involved in its founding in 1974. The PRC is one of the largest preservation organizations in the country, and has been effect in reversing decline in many urban neighborhoods, beginning with Julia Row in the Central Business District.
Best New Architecture
1225 St. Claude Avenue is the replication of an 1836 Creole cottage in Faubourg Tremé.
Best Historic Architecture
“The French manor house was totally restored by Frederick Starr, with a replication to the rear of the original kitchen building.”
Best 'Off-the-Beaten-Path' Architecture
See the steamboat houses in Holy Cross in Lower 9th Ward/Egania Street at the river. Follow Egania as it crosses St. Claude, about 4 blocks past the bridge for Industrial Canal to look at the many renovations by PRC and the National Trust of Historic Houses in this historic district that flooded but lost very few buildings because it is on high ground next to the river. Also check out the Bell School in 2100 block of Ursulines in Esplanade Ridge/Treme, and the grotto on same block at 2101.
Best Museums and Galleries
George Schmidt Gallery
“George Schmidt is a history painter with glorious paintings depicting ancient Rome, New Orleans history and architecture especially Storyville, Carnival, and 19th century artists, as well as contemporary portraits and landscapes.”