Program: A seven-level, 306,000-square-foot library at Ohio State University, with a central tower of stacks bounded by two atria. The project is a renovation of the circa 1913 Beaux Arts building and its later additions (one from 1947–51 and another from 1977). The library includes reading rooms, group study rooms, a café, a computer lounge, a multimedia production lab, offices, and a roof terrace.
Design concept and solution: Charged with turning a cluttered library that largely functioned as three separate buildings into a unified whole, Gund aimed to reorganize the interior and reconcile varying building styles without adding bulk. The architects removed the east and west stone walls of the central book tower and replaced them with glass, transforming a formerly closed-off mini-building into a light-filled anchor for the library. They demolished the west wing (the addition from 1977) and replaced it with a new skylit atrium featuring a curved glass facade. The east wing—the original 1913 structure—was gutted and expanded to create a matching atrium. The glass-encased book tower connects the atria and exposes the layout of the building, allowing the three elements to work together as a single volume.
47 Thorndike Street
Cambridge, MA 02141
617 250 6800
617 577 9614 fax
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Completion Date: August 2009
Total construction cost: $75 million
Owner: Ohio State University
Personnel in architect's firm who should receive special credit:
Architect of record:
Interior designer: Schooley Caldwell Associates, Inc.
MEP Engineer: Heapy Engineering LLC
Civil Engineer: EMH&T
Lighting: Lam Partners Inc.
Acoustical: American Acoustical Associates
Hazardous Materials: Chryatech, Inc.
Security: Security Technology & Design Services
Construction Manager: TurnerSmoot Joint Venture (Turner Construction Company and S R Smoot Construction Company)
Multiple Prime Contractors
Demolition Contractor: S. G. Lowendick & sons, Inc.
Concrete Contractor: Lithko contracting, Inc.
Structural Steel Contractor: Wanner Metal Worx, Inc.
Electrical Contractor: Vaughn Industries, Inc.
Plumbing Contractor: Radico, Inc.
HVAC Contractor: Bruner Corporation
Fire Protection Contractor: S. A. Comunale Company, Inc.
Glazing Contractor: Anderson Aluminum Corporation
Landscape Contractor: Environmental Management Services, Inc.
Masonry Contractor: Lang Masonry Contractors, Inc.
Architectural Woodwork Contractor: Mock Woodworking Company
Site/Utilities Contractor: Performance Site Management
Interior Finishes Contractor: Valley Interior Systems, Inc.
Photography © Brad Feinknopf 2009
CAD system, project management, or other software used:
Wood: Ohio White Oak
Metal: Custom Copper and Lead Coated Copper
Skylights: United Sky
Suspended Structural Glazing: Novum
Glass Canopy: Novum
Metal doors: Dawson bronze doors
Exit devices: Dorma
Security devices: Von Duprin
Cabinet hardware: Accuride International, Knape & Vogt Mfg. Co., Grass America, Julius Blum.
Suspension grid: Armstrong
Operable Partitions: Modernfold
Paints and stains: Benjamin Moore, PPG, and Sherwin Williams, Kynar
Plastic laminate: Wilsonart, Panolam
Special surfacing: Corian
Floor and wall tile: Daltile-restroom walls
Carpet: Interface, Karistan
Cork Flooring: Duro Cork
Granite: Cold Spring
Rubber Flooring & Stairtreads: Nora
VCT: Mannington Commercial
Library Cantilever Shelving: Spacesaver
Office furniture: Steelcase, Herman Miller, Allsteel, Hayworth
Add any additional building components or special equipment that made a significant contribution to this project:
Foamed-in-place insulation: BASF